Applications open September 1st for admission in Fall of the following year. The application deadline is January 1st. Applications received prior to the deadline will receive priority consideration, but applications received after the deadline may still receive consideration, pending available space.
All applicants must apply through the centralized Lehigh portal. All application materials must be submitted through the College Net portal. Please do not mail any documents to the Chemistry Department.
You will need the following information to complete the general application:
- Beginning/ending dates and location(s) of your academic degree(s)
- Electronic copies of your unofficial transcripts
Admission decisions may be made on the basis of the unofficial information submitted as part of the application, although an official offer cannot be extended until all of the official transcripts and test scores have been received and added to the application.
- A scientific resume (maximum 2 pg)
- A brief (maximum 2 pg) essay that includes a narrative concerning your motivations for graduate study in chemistry, your long-term career goals, concrete information on research experience, and potential Lehigh Chemistry faculty interests. It is particularly important to describe your research experience and address any gaps in your education or other aspects of your application where special consideration could be applied.
- Areas of research interest
- TOEFL scores for International Students (unofficial scores can be used in your initial application). Lehigh's institutional code is 2365.
- Contact information (email address) for three (3) faculty members who will write letters of recommendation for you, and can comment on your suitability for advanced scholarly work. One of these must be your current research supervisor. If you are employed full-time, only one of these letters can be from your employer. Faculty member letters are much more impactful to the admissions committee than letters from employers.
Minimum Requirements required for admission:
- Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry, biochemistry, or closely related discipline with appropriate coursework. GPA must be 3.0 or above.
- International Applicants must have a TOEFL score less than 2 years old. The TOEFL recommended minimums are 21 for reading, 15 for listening, 24 for speaking, and 25 for writing. The recommended minimums for the IELTS score are 6.5 for reading, 6.0 for listening, 7.5 for speaking, and 6.5 for writing. The composite score minimum for the TOEFL is 85, and the overall minimum band score for the IELTS is 6.5.